Marmaris is one of the heavenly places of Mugla and the Aegean Region in Turkey. Because this city is very famous with its unique nature, beautiful beaches, amazing bays, and nightlife. Especially some places such as İçmeler, Selimiye, Söğüt, Turunç, Bozburun Peninsula should be on the list of the places to visit in Marmaris. And there are many things to do in Marmaris. In this travel guide, I will tell you everything about this beautiful paradise.
Marmaris Mugla is one of the best holiday destinations with its historical and natural beauties in Turkey. It is an amazing place with beautiful coasts, historical artifacts, culture, nature, delicious food, and suitable accommodation options. It is definitely worth visiting.
- 1 Marmaris Attractions & Travel Guide
- 1.1 1- Things to do in Marmaris City Center
- 1.2 10- Sedir Island
- 1.3 What to Eat?
- 1.4 Things to Do at Night in Marmaris
- 1.5 Where to Stay?
Marmaris Attractions & Travel Guide
This is a heavenly place with beautiful bays, nature, and ancient cities. There are many destinations waiting to be discovered. So you may need a lot of time to explore the whole area.
You can also do many activities and enjoy nightlife aside from visiting tourist spots. That’s why millions of tourists come here every year. So I made a list of things to do and places to visit in Marmaris for you.
1- Things to do in Marmaris City Center
Marmaris, which has a population of nearly 100 thousand, has historical and natural beauties. Especially you will like the city while you traveling to here by land. Also, it is a very lively city.
Here are the top places to visit in Marmaris City Center:
- Marmaris Castle: The most important historical point of the city. The story of the castle dates back to the Ionian period BC. It was restored by Alexander the Great and Suleiman the Magnificent.
- Archeology Museum: The museum is located in the castle. The entrance fee to the museum, which is open every day, is 18 TL. Free for Museum Card holders.
- Hafsa Sultan Caravanserai: This caravanserai, which was built by the Suleyman the Magnificent in the name of his mother Hafsa Sultan, was built in 1545. It was once used for accommodation on Rhodes voyages.
- Marmaris Uzunyalı Beach (Public Beach): If you want to swim in the city center, you can choose this public beach. You can lay your towel and sunbathe and enjoy the sea here. Also, you can sit and have a quiet evening after sunset here.
- Bar Street: Visiting Bar Street is one of the fun things to do at night in Marmaris.
2- Icmeler Beach
Icmeler Beach is one of the most popular spots to swim in Marmaris. It is located 8 kilometers away from the city center. This beautiful holiday destination is also famous with its numerous accommodation options and all-inclusive 5-star luxury hotels.
Icmeler has many facilities such as beach club, markets, restaurants, etc. You can also go shopping near the beach.
Turunc is a very peaceful place where you can swim and relax. It has also an amazing green forest and mountain view.
How to go Marmaris Turunc Bay? You can go to this beautiful holiday destination is about 20 kilometers from the city center. I can say it is an enjoyable drive inside nature if you drive. Also, you can ride a minibus or daily boat tour by sea.
4- Amos Beach
Amos Bay Beach, which is 3 kilometers away from Turunç by car. They call here Professors Site as well.
There is one company which runs on the beach with free parking. You can get sunbeds and umbrellas, as well as lay your towel on the right and left sides of the beach.
The company here also has a restaurant section. You can eat and drink while enjoying the sea.
If you are planning to travel to Turkey, visit Antalya too.
5- Kumlubuk Beach
Kumlubük Beach is another beautiful beach in the area. It is 24 kilometers from the city. Here is more calm and peaceful than other beaches. It is a good spot to isolate people.
For entertainment, you can experience water sports such as jet-ski, banana, etc here. Moreover, I recommend you to taste beautiful seafood at the famous fish restaurant located here. So, visiting Kumlubuk is one of the best things to do in Marmaris.
6- Sogut (Söğüt)
Marmaris Söğüt Village has calm beaches and untouched nature. Here is not crowded as much as other places around.
Sogut is also famous for sunset views. The sunset is really amazing and worth coming here to see it. It is located at the edge of the Bozburun Peninsula.
Selimiye has magnificent sea and green nature. Especially people who have a yacht or boat come here by sea. Because one of Turkey’s most popular marina is located here.
Actually, there is no beach where you can swim, but you can enjoy the sea by taking advantage of the services of pensions or restaurants right near the sea. The length of the coastline is around 2 kilometers.
Selimiye, which has a peaceful atmosphere, is a nice place to rest and relax. This is a suitable place even for those who think about where to go on their honeymoon.
8- Kızkumu Beach
One of the most important destinations in this Marmaris Travel Guide is Kızkumu Beach. Kız Kumu Beach, located in Orhaniye, is an interesting natural beauty. Because the shallow area in the middle of the bay makes you feel like walking on the sea.
Because it is a well-known place, it gets crowded every day. Morning hours are less crowded at Kız Kumu Beach. So if you come here early, you can take lots of photos and capture beautiful shots. It is a very Instagrammable place.
Bozburun is one of the most beautiful holiday destinations in the Aegean area. It is a very peaceful place. So visiting Bozburun is one of the things to do in Marmaris.
Actually, most foreign tourists don’t come to this place. Because it is very far from the other popular tourist spots. But I suggest you come and see Bozburun.
Bozburun is one of the most popular places for yacht tourism. You will see a lot of yachts on the shore. But despite this, it is a very quiet place. It is a must-visit place for those who want to stay in nature. Moreover, you can join trekking and bicycle tours to explore Bozburun Peninsula.
10- Sedir Island
Sedie Island is a small island but it is like a paradise. You will witness nature and historical artifacts at the same time. Because there are ruin and natural beach together.
Sedir Island is located on the Gokova Gulf. It has an amazing beach called Cleopatra Beach. The beach has unique sands which makes you feel like you are in the Maldives. So swimming here should be on the list of the best things to do in Marmaris Mugla.
The name of the beach comes from the beautiful Hellenistic Queen Cleopatra from Egypt. According to the rumor, Marcus Antonius, one of the commanders of the Roman Emperor, brought special sand from North Africa for Cleopatra. By the way, the sand is now under protection. So it is forbidden to step on the beach or take sand from the beach.
What to Eat?
Aside from places to visit in Marmaris, you will find many options about food here. You will love Turkish cuisine here. So what to eat in Marmaris? Where are the best restaurants with delicious food?
Sogut Lodge Panorama
Söğüt Lodge Panorama is very popular with its delicious food and wonderful sea view. It has a great menu with meat, fish and other seafood. You can also come here for breakfast if you want. But it is memorable to eat with the sunset view where the sky is painted red.
The most special product of the place is a cocktail called ‘korukcello’. I would say you should definitely try this drink that you cannot find anywhere else.
Mavi Pide Selimiye
If you are unsure of what to eat in Selimiye where is on the list of places to visit in Marmaris, you can try Mavi Pide. Because pita is one of the popular Turkish food. Some call it Turkish pizza.
Here you can try different types of pita. They offer interesting tastes such as apple, honey, banana, tahini and honey, and walnut.
Pizza Locale has many branches in Turkey. They really make delicious pizzas. Especially in Marmaris, their pizza restaurant is always crowded. It is near Marina in the city center.
Things to Do at Night in Marmaris
Marmaris is very famous with its crazy nightlife. It is a heavenly place for those who love parties. Especially in the Bar Street, you should experience the nightlife.
Here are some nightclubs and bars where you might have fun at night;
- Club Areena: Club Areena, which is one of the most lively clubs of nightlife, is located in Marmaris Bar Street. It is the biggest nightclub in the city. Laser shows, foam parties, and dancing girls make the atmosphere amazing.
- Andromeda The Club: This club is one of the most popular venues in the city, like Club Areena. You will enjoy crazy foam parties, professional dancer girls, and famous DJ performances here.
- Crazy Daisy: One of the favorite places on Bar Street is Crazy Daisy. The club has a nice dance floor for those who love to dance. It is one of the places preferred by foreigners.
- Manchester Bar: Manchester Bar, located in the Siteler District, is one of the bars that are lively in the evenings. Although it’s not like a nightclub, it has a nice dance floor to dance to. It also satisfies its visitors with a variety of alcoholic beverages. Besides this bar, you can also have fun in another bar called Liverpool Bar.
Where to Stay?
You wandered around during the day, had dinner, had fun in the nightlife… So now time to find a good hotel to sleep. I suggest you book hotels in the city center, Selimiye or Icmeler. Check the hotel list.
I recommend you those hotels to stay in Marmaris: